Mercury is denoted by Hg, an acronym of Hydragyrum which means liquid silver. Mercury is a metallic element which is in group II B in the periodic system, with atomic number 80 and mass number 200.59. The metal mercury is produced naturally and is obtained from ore processing, Cinabar, with oxygen (Palar; 1994). The metal mercury is produced, used in the synthesis of inorganic compounds and organic compounds that contain mercury. In everyday life, mercury is in three basic forms, namely: metallic mercury, inorganic mercury and organic mercury. Mercury (Hg) is one type of metal found in nature and are scattered in the rock, ore mines, land, water and air as inorganic and organic compounds. Mercury is one of the basic elements of chemical and heavy metal is a liquid which under normal circumstances silvery, not smelling with a molecular weight of 200.59. Mercury is not soluble in water, alcohol, ether, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen.History of Mercury has been found in Egypt in ancient tomb relics century 1500 BC, and may be used for cosmetic and medicinal purposes. Around 350 BC, Greek philosopher and scientist Aristotle explains how to take the mercury by heating cinnabar rocks for religious ceremonies. In Rome, mercury is used for various purposes and give it a name hydrargyrum, which means liquid silver into the origin of the chemical symbol for mercury is Hg. Mercury Amalgamation was first to cultivate the patio process of silver by the year 1557 in Mexico who made the request of mercury is greatly increased. Mercury barometer was invented by Torricelli in 1643, followed by the discovery of the use of mercury in the thermometer by Fahrenheit in 1714.
Known For Three Forms Of Mercury, Namely:
1. Elemental mercury (Hg) contained in glass thermometer, tensimeter mercury, dental amalgam, electrical equipment, batteries and paint rocks. Also used as a catalyst in the production of caustic soda and disinfectants as well as for the production of chlorine from sodium chloride.
2. Inorganic mercury: in the form of Hg + + (Mercuric) and Hg + (Mercurous) For example:
– Mercury chloride (HgCl2), including the form of inorganic Hg is highly toxic, caustic and
used as a disinfectant
– Mercurous chloride (HgCl) which are used for teething powder and laksansia (calomel)
– Mercurous fulminate which is flammable.
3. Organic mercury: present in some form, al :
– Methyl mercury and ethyl mercury which both include short chain alkyl forms encountered
as metal contaminants in the environment. For example eating fish contaminated with TSB.
– Can cause neurological and congenital disorders.
Mercury is very useful in the processing of gold and silver. This also encouraged to develop mercury ore deposit in the United States after the discovery of gold and silver in California and other western countries in the 1800s. Mercury is widely used in various industrial products and applications after 1900. He used to be used in batteries, paints, explosives, light bulbs, the light is on, pharmaceuticals, fungicides, and pesticides. The main application for the production of chlorine and caustic soda, and as a component of electrical devices, including fluorescent and mercury-vapor lamps. Mercury is also used as part of the process for the manufacture of paper, felt, glass, and some types of plastics
A good use of mercury in gold processing system:
1. Avoid contacts with mercury when you’re doing the processing of gold, try to use any such protective rubber gloves.
2. Keep mercury is always in place a sealed like plastic bottles, metal or glass (not the container of aluminum).
3. Always add water above the liquid mercury, except for mercury which has been recycled or that have been used in gold processing.
4. Do not let spilled mercury because it is very difficult to clean it and take it, because mercury can be as small droplets of water that spilled ..
5. Mercury should not be one with other chemicals, put mercury on a separate room.
6. Using equipment that supports the safety and health.
7. Do not eat or smoke when using mercury.
8. Use just enough mercury.
How to clean up after Mercury used in gold processing.
Soak mercury in solution with the composition coustic soda per 1 kg of Hg was washed with a solution of 30 s / d 50 g coustic soda in 1 quart of water. Or it could be with the addition of salt.
Although mercury has a boiling point of 357 ° C, but has the ability to evaporate at room temperature (25 ° C) due to the low-pressure evaporat
To avoid evaporation:
1. Save the mercury in the shade (room temperature> 25 ° C) and protected from direct sunlight.
2. Store in a special container (can use containers made of stainless steel, steel, iron, ceramic, plastic or glass container and do not use aluminum) are closed and make sure the mercury soaked with a little water, and put it in a safe place away from the child.
Impacts Of Mercury
The effect of mercury toxicity to the body include: nerve damage, including being grumpy, paralysis, blindness or mental disorder, chromosome damage and malformed baby in the womb. mild symptoms of mercury poisoning is depression and anger like that is the nature of mental illness, headaches, difficulty swallowing, blurred vision, with a declining power, feels thick in the legs and hands, the mouth was blocked by metal, gum swell and accompanied by diarrhea, weak body, and defects in human fetuses. Mercury in high concentrations sometimes in getting in the waters and fish tissue derived from the formation of ion monoetil mercury-soluble, CH3Hg + and the (CH3) 2 Hg, by anaerobic bacteria in the sediments, mercury from these compounds become concentrated in fatty tissues fish (biological amplifier) can reach 103. As a result of the strong interaction between the mercury and other soil components, the replacement of mercury from one form to other than the gas is usually very slow. Methylitation mercury process usually occurs in nature under limited conditions, forming one of the many dangerous elements, because in this form of mercury is very easy to accumulate in the food chain. Because of harmless, the use of alkali mercury fungicide in hatcheries are not permitted in many countries.